Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Riyadh

Hello all, It's been a tough time getting online, hence no blogs.......I've gone to Jeddah for 2 days, on the Red Sea, did a great workshop there with about 30 students in the late teens. They were so much fun, segregated boys and girls sides, but it seemed very natural and easy. They did some wonderful work. I just show them a few things I do with acrylics, charcoal water etc and let them run.
They're not allowed to depict the human or animal form, so abstract is appropriate, although the concept is very foreign to them....things have loosened up a lot, although Jedda is a different region, more international and relaxed.
Had a private evening with a fabulous band at one of their rehearsals, in an old part of the city, very smoky rooms, lots of tea and coffee and sweets then drums, dancing, chanting amazing rhythms and beautiful old songs. All men, all ages, maybe 15 of them Very famous group, so it was an honor to be there. Ad unusual....my 2 handlers from the consulate took me, and the woman was very surprised they let us in.
Consular people are so incredibly attentive, armored SUV's serious security everywhere. Hidden machine guns under nets, barriers to all hotels, it's a tight ship they run if there are internationals around. My hotel is mostly Saudi men, I'm sitting in the lobby wearing a black robe, sandals and my hair is covered, not my face. I never need to worry what's underneath as I can't compete anyway, although my shoes are pretty lame, not fancy enough but I'm comfortable, and I'm blonde, so they overlook it, lol. The people are such incredible hosts, ritual coffee and tea drinking, yeas both.....sweets, whatever they have to offer. They're funny, warm, intelligent, delightful people, and I'm making a lot of friends.
I'm running out of power, mine and the computer as I can only access internet in the lobby, so go see this website which is where my next and final exhibition will be......AMAZING!!!!! 52nd floor of the fanciest building in Riyadh, home of the 4 seasons where I am not staying, sigh.
Anyway, the gallery is absolutely fantastic.
http://www.hewarartgallery.com
Hope all's well with everyone, hope the Red Sox wait for me, just know that I'm having a wonderful time, everyone.
I teach at Princess Noor University tomorrow, now it's art teachers and grad students....things keep changing, I change with them.
Love to all.
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment